My laptop is rendered useless by a problem in windows. The First partition is erased and the second is backupped. Vista will be installed on this machine Monday.
So, I guess this the perfect time to install Ubuntu on this machine.
Here are the steps I followed:
- download the ISO and burn it,
- boot from the cd,
- screen goes blank, attach other screen to vga port and boot again,
- create a root and swap partition and install,
- boot the new system and install the 137 updates that were automatically detected,
- find solution to blank screen problem,
- enable universe and multiverse repositories,
- display microsoft fonts like on windows,
- install the flash plugin,
- install ntfs-3g,
- install “ntfsprogs”,
- mounting my ntfs partition now fails,
- boot with windows xp installation disk and run chkdsk from the recovery console,
- mounting my ntfs partition now works and I can read and write to it.